A sling can be the single component other than ammunition that you carry with the firearm in all events, and therefore it requires a fair amount of decision making and contemplation to pick just the right one.
The best AR 15 sling will be the one that is the most useful and most intuitive to use. It will feel like an extension of the gun and the shooter. It will simultaneously feel as though it does not exist, as its lack of presence is the defining factor for a quality sling: one that feels like it is barely there.
There are myriad slings available, but only a few really merit taking a look at. The sling has come a long way in innovation and how it’s utilized for the modern sport shooter, but it remains vastly unchanged in its simplicity and operation.
This article will help you find the best sling by helping you determine the use case, the materials and the specialty offerings that give one sling an advantage over another.
7 Best AR 15 Slings of 2020 Reviewed
$25.90 in stock
- FAST ADJUST "on the fly" - Make fast length changes without having to disconnect sling. Minimize tangles and fumbles in the field
- ADJUSTABLE TO 55+ INCHES - works with all 1.25 inch multi-use attachment hardware, ITW MASH Hook, HK Hook, ParaClip (Magpul) and OEM Rifle Sling Swivels or QD Swivels
- PREMIUM TANGLE & CHAFE RESISTANT WEBBING - Superior "Box X" Stitching, Premium Heavy Duty Chafe Resistant Nylon Webbing, durable High Impact Polymer Composite parts. Mil-Spec quality, materials and build at a great price
- TUBE WEBBING 4000 POUND TEST - Unfailingly reliable, and far stronger than other webbing... strongest and best quality webbing available for weapons sling use and ideal in all close encounter and field carry and shooting applications
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE - BACKED WITH A 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - - The STI Sling quality and price point makes our product an unusually good value. Quality, Durability, PEERLESS Customer Support
The STI 2-Point is a very straightforward sling that is made for quick adjustability and easy use with practice.
The GI green webbing is tubular so it’s basically two layers and comes with tri-glides built-in. Adjustable from 30 to more than 55 inches, this can fit big shooters.
- Flat tubular webbing
- Good adjustability
- No padding
Why It’s Recommended
Good price point for a US sourced sling that offers a simple design and good adjustability.
The very high-quality webbing lacks padding but makes up for it with good configurable length and the ability to make fast transitions.
The webbing of the STI 2-Point is top-notch and the hardware is pretty good too.
Blue Force Gear Vickers
- Blue Force Gear, Sling, Molded Acetal Adjuster, No Quick Release, Attached with TriGlide instead of Loop Lock, 2-Point Padded Sling, Coyote Brown
- This is a nationwide distributor of guns and shooting sports accessories
- This product is manufactured in United States
Most shooters who know Vickers tactical know the quality of the products they offer and the functionality that is inherent in the designs.
This is a simple and proven two-point design with a quality build and is very adjustable.
- Proven brand
- Proven design
- Good padding
- A bit pricey
Why It’s Recommended
It’s expensive but ask anyone who has used one and you will get rave reviews.
Simple, straightforward design that offers fast adjustability and a very sophisticated adjustment potential.
Blue Force Gear Vickers is capable of a lot of adjustment but it isn’t hard to learn how to use it. Vickers is a known entity and the reputation of the brand is excellent.
- 1.25″ TUBE WEBBING - Gives You A Soft And Durable Rifle Sling. Twice as strong with a smooth edge that wont cut into you. Compatible with Any 1.25″ Sling Mounts, loops or QD (Quick Detach Sling Swivels).
- NO SLIPPING - New improved sling has tighter tolerances in the adjusters for a zero slippage. When you set them, the sling wont move!
- 70″ LONG MAX LENGTH - To fit anyone of any size. Full adjustable from 70” to as small as you want. Customize to you. Similar to military issued slings. Nothing fancy, but nothing that can fail you either.
- SIMPLICITY - This sling was designed to be simple and last a lifetime. A quality 2 point rifle sling for everyone. Backed by a lifetime guarantee and coverage if anything happens to fail, we will fix it.
- MADE IN THE USA - 100% Made and assembled in the USA. Everything on this sling is American made & assembled. Even the packaging. Why buy imported goods with quality lacking? Buy the best, buy American.
If you just need a sling and that’s all, then the BluCollarTactical is the one. It doesn’t try to act like something it isn’t, and it doesn’t overstep its role.
It is just a sling, for carrying a gun and tightening your shot. Very simple, high quality and made in the USA.
- USA made
- Soft and durable
- A little less adjustability and not as versatile as others on the list
Why It’s Recommended
It’s made from high quality durable and soft 1.25” tubular webbing that gives a soft feel and adds a lot of versatility to a basic AR.
The quality is obvious for the low price point and the BluCollarTactical is a very nice sling for the money.
- 【Superior Quality】Accmor 2 point sling is made from high-density nylon material, which is lightweight and durable that provides long lifetime to the product.
- 【Upgraded Hook】New improved larger metal hook make it fit the rifle point well.
- 【Adjustable】Rope length of the sling can be easily adjusted via thumb loop adjusters, with elastic cord, one size fit most.
- 【Extra Long】The gun rope designed with extra-long length that can better fit Americans' built.
- 【Multipurpose】The standard sling 2 points can be used as rifle-strap, shoulder bag sling, camera belt or even a safety rope. Very easy to carry.
The Accmor is a spartan material selection but a sophisticated design offers very high-end features for a tiny fraction of the normal going rate.
This is a 2-pack of adjustable, convertible slings and is hands down the best value on this list. It is a no brainer to pick up this two-pack of webbing slings.
- Works like a sling three times the price
- Simple and spartan materials
Why It’s Recommended
It’s legitimately a bargain and the two-pack only makes it better. For those who don’t need super comfortable padded slings can benefit from the bungee style connections and the obviously high-class feature set.
For the money, you will never find a better value than Accmor.
- This sling offers a quick one hand adjustment, with an additional overall sling length adjustment.
- Modular connections (one type included, others sold separately). Easily detach the main sling from modular connectors and use on multiple guns.
- Various options to accommodate nylon strap connection, push button swivel, and C.L.A.S.H. hooks.
- Designed and assembled in USA with entirely USA made components. S2Delta’s slings are made with the highest quality components available. The sling is extremely lightweight and comfortable with a 2" shoulder strap.
- S2Delta’s two-point modular sling is designed with adjustable 2” Mil-Spec webbing to comfortably support the rifle's weight when slung across the body.
S2Delta is a premium convertible sling with a great reputation and quality hardware for infinite configurations.
This is a legitimate option for those that plan on really using their sling for tactical shooting classes or real-life scenarios.
- Premium Quality
- USA Made
- Very adjustable
- 2” Webbing
- A bit pricey
Why It’s Recommended
Very well engineered and executed, this sling is a legitimate premium option made in the USA and built to last.
The S2Delta is a highly configurable and very adjustable sling that has top tier hardware. It also offers convertible options for those who want quick transitions and top quality and durability in the workmanship.
Viking Tactics VTAC
2 used from $49.99
- Extremely light weight
Simple the VTAC still requires other hardware to customize it.
This is a very good starting point for those who want a ton of customization and adjustability in their sling. The ability to make this your own is unparalleled and the quality is top-notch.
- Good creature comforts
- Very customizable
- Works as it comes
- Very good padding
- Needs some additional components to solidify the style you want unless you are content with the standard design out of the box
Why It’s Recommended
It’s over-engineered and made for the ultimate in customization. The potential with this sling to make it your own is hard to match and the price point, while steep, offers a very good value once you’ve dialed it into your specifications.
Wide width strapping/webbing/padding. Very high-quality build and excellent accessorizing and finish details.
The VTAC is a spectacular sling but be prepared to spend some money.
- ✅ FITS ALL HARDWARE - Team's 2 POINTS TRADITIONAL RIFLE SLING HAS IT ALL! we increased our 2 point gun strap width to 2”+ adjustable length from 40” up to 59”. The sling is made of a Heavy-Duty lightweight Nylon.
- ✅ STRONG SWIVEL with WIDE OPENING HOOKS. Are you tired of trying to work into the narrow opening of standard hooks? Team’s hunting rifle sling HAS YOU COVERED! Our rifle sling with swivels is made of high-quality, durable metal swivels with the full range turning capacity of 360 °.
- ✅ WHAT ARE YOU GETTING? - 2 points Traditional hunting rifle sling with length adjustment + removable pocket. suitable for all rifles + metal swivels + 11 in 1 Tool Kit.
- ✅1-YEAR GUARANTEE – 100% SATISFACTION - a 1-YEAR WARRANTY after you register in Team's site.
- ✅FREE GIFT INCLUDED –11 in 1 Tool Kit. With the 2 point Sling . Add YOUR rifle sling now. Consider getting one for your best friend!
Teams Traditional is super convertible and offers quick adjustment without too much extra needed from out of the package.
- Well built in the mid-range
- Nice details
- Made in the USA
- Triangle hardware
- A bit pricey, not as bombproof as some others listed
Why It’s Recommended
Very good details and a well-made sling that offers legitimate convertibility and adjustability for the price point.
The Teams Traditional is a bit higher priced than the lower end offerings, but it is worth the extra money.
The hardware is so good for those who want real-time transitions and easy use for tactical scenarios.
Advantages of using a AR 15 Specific Sling
An AR specific sling will have advantages for the AR-15 platform in that it will incorporate the key features of the gun, like the lightweight and the modular build type into the design of the sling.
Furthermore, the length and common deployment techniques and needs for a shooter will be easier to accommodate with a specific sling made for the AR.
Generally, this type of sling will fall under the tactical category and will be showcased in that way. Shorter actuation and a quicker-to-fire movement are obvious benefits of using a gun specific sling.
Allowing quicker adjustment and controlling the unique dynamics and ergonomics of the gun (the AR), will be very important as you spend a lot of time with it.
Slings come in a variety of materials, but there are generally two key materials that make the most sense and make up the majority of the market offerings: Leather and Nylon/webbing/Cordura.
Some specialty slings can be purchased made from natural fibers like cotton or linen, though these are generally made for decorative reasons. Additionally, you can find exotic leathers that will make very cool and opulent slings, but they are less practical, especially when it comes to tactical or competition uses.
Again, leather and synthetic (usually nylon-based fabric or webbing) materials make up the majority of offerings, so that’s where it makes the most sense to focus on for the purposes of this article.
For tactical slings, leather will work, but it’s not nearly as versatile or adjustable, and it doesn’t offer the same suppleness and easy transitioning as will a webbing based, or woven synthetic sling will.
The tactical offerings actually make the most sense across the board for many gun owners. In fact, even a traditionalist who uses, say a bolt action rifle, will opt more often than not, for a tactical sling for the function over form concept in the field.
A sling is truly one of the most important things you can add to your firearm to make it more capable (with a Scope being another very important option).
Padding is less important for the AR-15 owner than for most other guns, with the overall low weight of the AR-15 making it very easy to carry the gun without fatigue or concerns for pressure on your shoulders.
That said, padding can be very important for those who carry a slung gun over their shoulder or on their back for a larger part of the day, or for those who have difficulty carrying a lot of weight.
It truly depends on how much you will be actually using your sling in the field, which will then determine how much padding makes the most sense. Almost all lower-cost tactical slings and almost 100% of all single-point-slings are without padding. Most 2-point slings have padding by default, even when made with a tactical slant.
Three-point slings and other specialty slings can offer more padding, but again, when targeting the AR 15 as a place to put your sling, the padding can generally be less important, or by market defaults: skimpier than other firearms slings. Three-point slings are generally more a special purpose item too, especially for the AR.
There are multipurpose convertible type slings that can go from a 1 to a 2-point sling in a matter of a few seconds of readjustment.
The length of the sling used to be a very important factor but has become something of a moot point for most tactical shooters of those shopping for an AR sling. This is also true for most traditional sling users as well.
Sling length just doesn’t mean what it once did. The different slings on the market are much more complex now and offer a ton of material length and utilize complex designs to achieve multiple purposes.
If you were to measure the average sling of today versus the average sling of 10 years ago, the newer sling would vastly outclass the older sling with a much larger amount of sling material used, and an overall length of much more.
This is to achieve the ultimate in adaptability and adjustability. The adjustments aren’t simply linear anymore for most slings that would fit in the category that we are covering in this article.
Sling Mounts/Sling Attachment Points
This can be a huge determining factor for the sling you choose, as the plethora of options makes it possible to customize your sling methodology much more than in years past.
The options for quick detachability and quick re-configuration are plenty. The quality and value of different sling attachment hardware is varied and personal. That doesn’t mean it’s something that can be overlooked, however.
The positioning of sling mounts will vastly affect how you use a convertible; single point, or two-point sling based on your physical dimensions and your desire to have your firearm in a specific position.
It’s not uncommon for a hunter or tactical shooter to have several sets of add-on quick detachable sling mount hardware. It’s also not uncommon for a shooter to have a favorite style of sling hardware. It has become a niche market in customization, in and of itself.
It can be one of the most important parts of the entire sling selection process and finding the proper placement and type of sling mounting hardware will be a focal point if you want the best capability built-in.
How to Wear a Sling
How your sling is worn will be determined by a couple of factors, the most important being the style of sling and personal preference.
Single Point Sling
A single-point sling is generally worn around the torso and allows the firearm to hang down. It offers a great amount of versatility, especially for those who will be off and then on their firearms within a moment’s notice. It is more difficult to carry comfortably while moving, despite being much more easily deployed into a combat or shooting position.
Two Point Sling
A two-point sling is generally worn over the shoulder and offers more secure travel with a sling. It can also be draped around the body and offers a gun that fits closer to your body which makes it easier and safer to carry passively but at the cost of having it harder to come to fighting/usable position.
Convertible slings allow both aspects to be transitioned to for the shooter by simply connecting a quick detachable buckle or connection point. If you can even consider a time when you might need both, it’s always best to get a convertible sling. Forget about debating the merits of each style when you can have both for a low to moderate price increase.
A good sling can be the difference between a successful hunt and going home empty-handed. The material it’s made of, the way it is attached to the firearm and how adjustable it is, are all major variables in choosing the proper sling that will give you years of faithful service.
Whether it is a gorgeous classic leather sling or the newest tactical type the best sling for AR 15 rifles is what you need it to be. There isn’t a singular type that you must buy.
The individualization is important, especially since the whole point of your sling is the comfort and utility it provides while in use.
Check out all the other AR-15 articles put together by our expert team here at Guns & Safety Reviews;
Best AR Sling
There are many things to consider when choosing an AR sling including the material, attachment to firearm and adjustability to name a few. The products reviewed in this article are all high quality, so be sure to read through before making your decision.
- Blue Force Gear Vickers
- Viking Tactics VTAC
- Team's Traditional