Increasing the performance of your firearm as well as lengthening the life span can easily be achieved with the right gun cleaning kit. Wear and tear can be significantly reduced by scheduling home maintenance or service on your weapon.
Even if you don’t use your gun every day or even every week it is important to clean it regularly of any dust, dirt, and debris that can accumulate in storage. In this case of the rare user, it is vital to ensure your gun is clean and ready to perform when you do need it.
No one wants to be caught out with an underperforming gun.
Top 7 Best Gun Cleaning Kits of 2020
The Otis Elite
$126.21 in stock
2 used from $86.07
- Cleans all rifles/pistols/shotguns/inline muzzleloaders with 100% cotton 2” & 3” patches, 3 slotted tips & 2 patch savers
- 16 firearm specific bronze bore brushes with size marked on brush stem (.17, .22 limited breech, .22/.223, .243-.260, .270/7mm, .30-06/.300/30-30/.308, .338-.35, .357-38cal/9mm, .40/10mm, .44/.45, .50cal, .410ga, 28ga, 20ga, 16ga, 12/10ga)
- 8”, 12” and 36” aircraft grade Memory-Flex cables and thread connector for proper Breech-to-Muzzle cleaning
- Small & large obstruction removers knock out mud, snow, stuck casings and double as a t-handle base for included t-handle; small t-handle & stud included for small caliber cleaning
- .223cal/5.56mm chamber brush, pin punch, end brush, straight pick, locking lug scraper, scraper, short AP brush, double end AP brush and male & female rod for more precise cleaning
For advanced gun owners, the Otis Elite includes all the necessary items needed to clean all of your guns. With over 60 pieces this complete kit also includes a convenient portable case.
Suitable for an armorer but used by thousands the kit can be used for breech-to-muzzle cleaning for rifles, pistols, shotguns and inline muzzleloaders.
Included in the kit
- 22 bronze bore brushes & chamber cleaning brushes
- 6 memory flex cleaning rods
- All-purpose nylon receiver brush
- Brash scraper toolset
- Lens cleaning kit
- 3 slotted tips
- Obstruction removers
- Small & large patch savers
- Bore reflector/flag safety
- Small & all caliber 100% cotton patches
- 2 x 5-ounce tubes of Otis O85 Ultra Bore solvent
The 22 bronze brushes are high quality with the caliber engraved on each rod for ease of use. Every item has a storage allocation in the carry bag and if you misplace or break a brush you can easily find a replacement.
Included in the brass scraper tool set are a scraper, a locking lug scraper, a straight pick, a pin punch, a nylon end brush, a compact receiver brush, and two-rod handles. No need to worry about scratching your firearm these tools can thoroughly clean those hard to reach places including the locking lugs, the slides, bolt face, and rails.
A lens kit is included to preserve the functionality of lenses including scope, rangefinders, laser sight devices, binoculars, cameras as well as general eyewear pieces. The kit includes a mohair lens brush, premium anti-Fog lens cleaner, anti-fog lens swabs, premium lens tissue, and an Otis lens cleaning cloth.
All of these items are stored in a durable, high-quality nylon carry bag with a strong zipper. While some prefer a solid case, the nylon carry bag makes it easy to carry and transport.
- Rifle Calibers: .17mm – .50mm
- Pistols Calibers: .17mm – .50mm
- Shotguns Calibers: .410 – 12/10 gauge
Although it includes 2 x 5-ounce tubes of Otis O85 Ultra Bore solvent I recommend purchasing an additional solvent. Also, some cotton swabs are considered an important gun-cleaning tool as well so including these would complete the Otis-Elite.
2 used from $32.78
- All-in-one: Universal cleaning accessory kit for used for all types of shotguns, rifles and pistol cleaning. All you need to clean common caliber guns in a compact case. Our case is designed to keep the pieces in their place, we also included 2 spaces to put you cleaning oil and solvent.
- No Cheap Plastic: All our slotted tips and cleaning jags are made of high quality nylon plastic. Sets from other brands use cheap plastic tips that can easily break after two uses. With this set you will not experience the frustration of having a broken jag/tip inside your gun barrel.
- Helpful & Portable: Keep your guns performing at their best by utilizing this cleaning/maintenance kit. Everything is kept neat and organized in the lightweight durable plastic carrying case.
- Package:3 solid brass rods for 17-270 caliber rifles; 3 solid brass rods for 30 caliber rifles, pistols, shotguns and muzzleloaders; In addition the Universal Gun Cleaning Kit also has 14 brushes; 9 mops; 12 spear-pointed jags; 1 black powder jag; 4 slotted patch loops; 3 utility brushes; 3 muzzle guards; 3 accessory adapters; 50 3×3" cleaning patches and 4 polishing clothes.
- Some of the accessories are consumable, so we prepare multiple accessories in our California warehouse. If you have any problems while using, please contact us, we'll be glad to help you.
A complete, universal gun-cleaning accessory kit that can be used with shotguns, rifles, and pistols in a lightweight yet durable plastic case.
Included in the Gloryfire are all the vital tools needed to make sure your gun can be properly taken care of. The only additional products you will need are the cleaning oil and solvent.
Included in the Kit
- 14 x brushes
- 9 x mops
- 12 x spear pointed jags
- 1 x black power jag
- 4 x slotted patch loops
- 3 x utility brushes
- 3 x muzzle guards
- 3 x accessory adapters
- 60 x 3×3″ cleaning patches
- 60 x 3x 1.5″ cleaning patches
- 4 x polishing cloths
Universally accommodating for any time of firearm this kit can be used to clean pistols, 30 caliber rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders. With brass rods for any .17 to .27 caliber guns as well as strong nylon plastics, the quality of the rods is fairly high given the price.
Industrial ABS plastic has been used for the case which is specifically molded to fit all the contents. With plastic, snap locks your case can be secured shut and the molded carry handle makes it easy to transport.
Included with the Gloryfire is a 3-year warranty which is a testament to their product quality and customer service.
- Custom fitted Winchester EVA soft sided case
- Removable handoliers and accessory pouches
- Machined aluminum handle
- Winchester super deluxe cleaning kit
- 68 Piece Set
This is a high quality, well organized, universal gun-cleaning kit. With everything you need as well as a durable, convenient carry bag this kit is one of the most popular on the market.
Included in the kit
- 4 brass accessory adapters
- 1 double-ended metal cleaning pick
- 2 double-ended utility/breech brushes
- 3 x utility parts brushes
- 2 x choke/breech brushes
- 1 polishing cloth
- 50 x 1×1″ cleaning patches
- 50 x 1.5×1.5″ cleaning patches
- 50 x 3x”3 cleaning patches
- 6 solid brass rods
- 14 bronze brushes and mops
- 4 slit tips
- 13 solid brass spear pointed jags
Truly a complete set the DAC Winchester is a deluxe universal cleaning set that includes all the key accessories.
The durable carry case has removable compartments and accessory pouches along which a dedicated section for every item. It must be noted that this kit has space for but does not come with a bore snake, cleaning solvent or lubricating oil.
- Small calibers: .17, .204, .22, .243, .270/280, .30
- Medium calibers: .357 / .38 / 9mm, .40, .44 / .45
- Large calibers: .50, .540
- Shotgun calibers: .410, 12 gauge, and 20 gauge
The DAC is a highly rated and highly versatile cleaning-kit. With great customer reviews and at a very reasonable price if you want a kit that can service all of your guns then this is a great choice.
$17.95 in stock
- MULTI-CALIBER Pistol cleaning kit works with any .22 pistol, 9mm handgun, 357 magnum, .38 special, 40 caliber, 41 caliber, 44 magnum & 45 caliber.
- GUN BOSS Handgun cleaning kit Includes: 2 section gun cleaning rod with t-handle, bore brush set, bore patch jag set, 2 small & large slotted bore patch tips and gun cleaning patches.
- COMPATIBLE as a Glock cleaning kit, SIG Sauer cleaning kit, S&W M&P Shield, M&P 2.0, SD9VE, SD40VE, Beretta, 1911 cleaning kit and more. Gun Boss Handgun has all cleaning supplies for modern handguns, revolvers and 1911 pistols.
- CONVENIENT Compact, portable, well-organized in a zippered, weatherproof pouch which stores easily and fits in your range bag. This all-in-one pistol maintenance kit is all you need for fast gun cleaning at home or at the range.
- QUALITY Ergonomic design, professional grade phosphor bronze brushes, nylon bore jags and highly absorbent gun cleaning patches; all components are long lasting and well-organized, so you spend less time cleaning and more time shooting.
The Real Avid is well suited for handgun owners. The Gun Boss Handgun Cleaning Kit is a complete cleaning system, this can easily be transported for use in the field, range and from home.
The case itself is compact enough to fit in your pocket, making it easy to transport. Made from durable ballistic nylon each tool has a designated area within the case.
Included in the Kit
- 50 gun cleaning patches
- 2 black nylon slotted tips
- 2-Section Rod System With Swivel Tip Combine To Form A 9″ Rod
- .22 Cal. Phosphor Bronze Brush
- .357/.38/9Mm Phosphor Bronze Brush
- .40 Cal. Phosphor Bronze Brush
- .45 Cal Phosphor Bronze Brush
- .22 Cal. Red Nylon Jag
- .357/.38/9Mm Red Nylon Jag
- .40 Cal. Red Nylon Jag
- .45 Cal. Red Nylon Jag
- Compact, Weather Resistant Travel Case
This kit is best designed for handguns such as 9MMs, most Glock pistols, 1911s, and .22 calibers. There is also a large range of calibers that it can be used with including .22, .357, 9MM, .38, .40, and .45 Cal. pistols.
Real Avid has all the essentials you’ll need for an effective and efficient clean.
1 used from $10.52
- Made of the highest quality materials
- Hunting gun Cleaning kits
- Another quality Bushnell product
- Attractive aged-oak finished wood construction
- Universal components to cover cleaning duties for a large variety of firearms
Made from high-quality materials the Outers Uni comes in a sturdy, aged oak finished box that has all the necessary parts.
Suited to beginner and intermediate gun owners this kit comes with a large variety of brushes for a large variety of calibers.
Included in the Kit
- 8 bronze brushes
- 5 cleaning mops
- 5 spear pointed jags
- 3 brass rods
- 3 pistol/rifle rods
- 2 slotted patch tips
- 1 accessory adapter
- Instruction booklet detailing the contents of the kit
The aged oak box is one of the positives of this quite. Durable and strong, this is an attractive yet highly functional kit.
Kit includes the required tips, mops and brushes for a complete clean of your firearm. Well divided the kit provides easy access to your tools.
This kit does not include any lubricant or cotton swabs so consider purchasing these separately at the time of ordering.
- 3 Brass Rods for .22 cal and up
- Rifle and Pistol Calibers: 45, 40, 357/.38, 30, 270/280, 22
- Shotguns Calibers: 10/12, 20/28, 410
- 5 Cleaning Mops fit: 22-25 cal, 38-.357 cal, .41ga, 28/20ga, 12/10ga
In terms of value for money, the Outers Uni is one of the lower-priced kits on the market and the quality is reflected in this. There have been a few issues with rods bending and breaking as well as the jags being made from plastic as opposed to brass.
- Rem Squeeg-E removes all dislodged barrel debris in just one pass
- Sturdy, coated Rem Flex Rod Cables help protect barrel finish
- Machine-washable Rem Pad (28"" x 12") velcro'ed in the bag protects surface and stores easily
- Rem All In Bore Cleaner offers high-performance on carbon, plastic, lead and copper fouling
- Essential Tools: 2 large cleaning brushes, brush revolver adapter and gun cloth
The Remington is a competitively priced cleaning kit that can service a variety of firearms. Encased in a vinyl zipper kit, there is space for all the cleaning tools you need.
Included in the Kit
- 10 Rem Squeeg-Es & matching bronze bore brushes
- Coated cable system
- Nylon brushes
- Threaded revolver adapter
- Gun mat
- Gun cloth
- 1-ounce rem oil
- 0.5-ounce bottle Rem All In Bore Cleaner
Each brush has the caliber inscribed on it which makes it easy to distinguish which to use with your guns.
The Rem Squeeg-es and bronze bore brushes are .22/.223/5.56mm, .243, .270/7mm, .308/7.62mm, 9mm/.380/.357, .40/10mm, .44/.45, .50/.410, 20GA/28GA, 12GA/16GA.
The squeegees are unique to this kit and work well to clean any residue leftover from the bronze bore brushes.
Complete with a sturdy, well-organized bag with secure zippers this makes for a great hunting companion. The front has space for all the Squeeg-Es and brushes, right pocket holds the cables as well as T handle and some brushed. The left pocket holds the Rem All In Bore Cleaner, Rem Oil, and a gun cloth. The center of the Remington bag has a pad that you can clean your weapon on.
Hoppe's No. 9
$31.99 in stock
- Made for universal cleaning
- Lubricating oil
- 3-Piece brass rod
- 4 slotted ends
- Silicone cleaning cloth
Hoppes offer a few different gun cleaning kits but the number 9 kit is hard to overlook. A simplistic, 18 piece kit this is ideal for a beginner gun owner. Affordable this kit includes a solid wooden case to house all the tools.
Included in the Kit
- 5 Phosphor bronze brushes
- Three-piece brass rod
- 4 slotted ends
- Wooden carrying case measures 26” x 8” and weighs 2.4 pounds
- Lubricating oil
- Silicone cleaning Cloth
- Hoppe’s No. 9 gun bore cleaner
- Instruction manual on how to use all the components in the kit
This kit comes with a gun bore cleaner which is effective at removing powder, lead, metal fouling, and rust.
Included is a beginner’s manual on how to use each tool for various firearms.
This kit doesn’t include all of the tools necessary to clean a shotgun, 9mm or .45 brass piece so if you have these guns consider purchasing a different kit.
- Rifle Calibers: .22 and .30
- Pistol Calibers: .38
- Shotguns Calibers: 12, 20 ga
With fairly sturdy components the Hoppes is a budget model that still presents value. There have been a few complaints regarding the quality of brushes but at this price, you can’t really complain.
Contents of a Gun Cleaning Kit
Every gun cleaning kit will vary slightly but there are a few key items that are common across them all.
A variety of bronze brushes should be included with every kit. This tool is used as a first pass down the barrel of the gun which will remove any carbon build-up. There is varying quality of bronze used in the brush bristles, the highest quality bronze is going to yield the highest quality results.
In areas that are a bit more sensitive, a nylon brush should be used instead of a bronze brush. Nylon is a lot softer and therefore safer to use in these areas and are ideal for carved out areas as well as hard to reach places.
Also referred to as a gun mop these are made from cotton and are used to remove any residue in the barrel. Ideal for removing any access oil which may be present in the barrel of the firearm.
For cleaning the center of the jag, this is a cotton cleaning patch that provides a 360 degree clean with bore surfaces. There is a specific item for this task as most jags are brass or nickel-plated which stop any scratching of the inner barrel. For this step it is crucial that any solvent is removed otherwise it can dry and result in the metal rusting.
Slotted Patch Holder
If the kit doesn’t include a cleaning jag then it will include a patch holder. This essentially functions in the same way as a cleaning jag by placing cotton on the end to absorb and remove any excess solvent.
Cleaning patches are dipped into a cleaning solvent which is then placed on the jag or patch holder. From here, you push it through the gun chambers and bore with a jag. There is a wide variety of materials as well as thickness available so depending on your gun it is important to match these values.
Used for detailing firearms, the elongated wooden handles are useful to push down the barrel of a gun. Generally speaking, they come with a 6″ wooden handle.
Double End Brushes
Similar shape to a toothbrush these brushes are attached to your cleaning rod and used on the external parts of your weapon. Depending on the quality of your cleaning kit the material can be stainless steel, nylon or brass.
The cleaning rod is the most important and useful tool in your kit. All of the components listed are attached to the cleaning rod for use.
Used to clean and lubricate your gun, this product is also known as CLP. Vital to the longevity and efficiency of your firearm, a good cleaning solvent is important. There are a variety of products and types so understanding each one is a key.
While a bore snake is not to be substituted for a cleaning regime they are a good tool for a quick clean of your gun. Bore snakes are suited to different calibers.
Considerations When Choosing a Gun-Cleaning-Kit
When deciding on the best gun cleaning kit for your needs there are a few key things to consider.
Many gun kits are suited to a range or certain caliber guns. If you are looking for a specific kit for a specific caliber then be sure to match these before buying. For those wanting one kit to clean all of their guns be sure to find a kit that covers a variety of caliber sizes.
Ease of Use
Considering you want to be cleaning and maintaining your gun regularly it is important to become familiar and comfortable with each tool. Researching each tool with care is a good way to get used to each tool and its’ use.
Quality of Tools
Like many things, the more you spend the better quality products you will get. While there are many gun cleaning kits on the market I have compiled what I consider the best products to make the decision easier for you. I do recommend that you further research and read customer reviews before making your final decision.
In terms of storing all your cleaning tools, you want a solid, sturdy case for them. Keeping your cleaning tools protected and preserved is important to provide the best care for your firearms. If you aren’t happy with the casing or housing of your kit there is the option to buy a specific gun cleaning box.
Keeping your Firearm Clean
Guns really ought to be cleaned after each use. Once you have selected your cleaning kit and familiarized yourself with the components you need to set a regular maintenance schedule. It is not difficult to clean a gun but definitely requires a bit of practice to master the task. Here are a few recommendations.
Disassemble the Firearm
Learn how to disassemble your firearm if you don’t already know-how. For guns such as handguns, you can easily take it apart and clean each piece. This varies from gun to gun but to some extent you can remove parts. For safety, purpose ensure your gun is unloaded before cleaning.
Ensure your area is well ventilated or well aired. This is because the solvents used for cleaning are made from fairly strong and potent chemicals. Breathing in these fumes is not advised so outdoors or near windows are the ideal cleaning spot. Take care when handling these products and chemicals. Follow the safety prompts in case of emergencies.
Cleaning the Barrel
Residue from the firing process begins to build up down the barrel so focusing on clearing this out is important. Cleaning the barrel is done with the bronze brushed provided in your gun cleaning kit. Attach the brush to the cleaning rod, apply the solvent and push the brush forwards and back.
Lubricate the Barrel
After cleaning the debris and residue from the barrel you can then attach a cleaning patch and apply gun oil to it. Push the patch forward and back through the barrel to provide a protective layer in the barrel.
Cleaning the Exterior
Solvent can be used along with the patches to wipe down the exterior of your gun. Once you have done this you can also apply a layer of oil to further protect the gun.
Cleaning the Chambers
As well as cleaning the barrel and exterior, if you have a revolver you can clean the chambers. In addition to the long barrel, there are five or six shorter barrels that make the chamber. Cleaning the chambers is done in the same way you clean the barrel.
Frequency of Cleaning your Guns
As mentioned it would be ideal to clean your gun after each use. If this isn’t feasible then aim for once a week or fortnight. For those storing their guns long term, clean it before going into storage. Personally, you can’t over-clean your gun and the efficiency makes it worth the regular cleaning.
Maintaining and cleaning your firearm will improve the efficiency, performance and reduce wear and tear. Through regular maintenance with the best gun cleaning kit, your gun will look good and perform well with every use. Through this guide, you now know the tools included in a kit and a basic overview of how to clean your weapon.
Check out the other safety and maintenance articles put together by the expert team here at Guns & Safety Reviews;
Gun Cleaning Kits
Ensuring your firearm is lubricated and clean is the best way to extend the life of your weapon as well as increase the performance.
The Otis Elite
Hoppe No. 9