There are a number of variables that a shooter has to put into perspective in order to be a successful long-range shooter. You might be shooting for fun, to hunt down a game, or even competitively. In order to be successful, you’ll need the best rangefinder for long-range shooting.
After investing in a quality model, you’ll soon realize how important it is as a tool for long-range shooting accuracy. With a quality model, you’ll get an accurate ballistic range which takes into consideration changes in elevation to provide you with the accurate distance between the target and you. However, investing in something sub-par that fails or doesn’t work well, means you’ll continue to with mis-hits and potentially get worse.
Never fear, we have compiled the best brands & options on the market and included detailed reviews of each one.
Top-Rated Range Finders for Long Range Shooting
This rangefinder has a range of as much as 2400 yards which allows the user to go for extreme long-range shooting. It is also able to determine the horizontal range and equivalent linear distance precisely.
- Determines distance of 2400 yards
- Automatic brightness control with LED display for excellent readability
- Crisp, clear, and brilliant image even when there’s little light
- 7x magnification level
The field of view for this model is wide which allows it to identify targets fast enough, even at very far distances.
The LED display makes it easy to read the ballistic data and scanned distance with ease. This model also has many intuitive features which makes it very easy to handle. If you’re looking for a rangefinder that is reliable for taking accurate measurement even in difficult terrain, here it is.
- Easy one-button use
- Rapid scan mode
- Compact and portable design
- It can be damaged by water
- The warranty period can be better
Leica Rangemaster CRF 2400-R Compact Rangefinder is recommended for hunting, archery, and other long-range shooting and works well in all terrains.
The Vortex ranger 1800 has a target range of 1800 yards which makes it an ideal fit for shooters and hunters. With this option, the user gets all the data that they need to take accurate and precise shots.
- Readings available in meters or yards.
- 2 modes – the Horizontal Component Distance (HDC) which is the primary mode, and the Line of Sight (LOS) mode.
- Scan function that continues to track a moving animal and display range readings for it.
Another great feautre is that it has an outer rubber armor which prevents it from slipping from the hand. In addition, it’s sealed to prevent fog and keep moisture out of it.
The lenses for this option are anti-reflective and fully multi-coated, so they’re able to transmit light excellently and produce vivid, crisp, and clear images.
- Tripod adaptable
- Powered by CR-2 battery that lasts very long.
- Fully weatherproof
- Very visible even in low light
- Unconditional lifetime warranty
- Just 1-yard increment
- No incline angle in HCD mode.
This technology is recommended for target shooters, rifle hunters, bow hunters, etc. because of its ability to scan moving objects and shoot long range.
The ATN Laser Ballistics 1500 is designed to be compatible with a smartphone. This model takes into account different modern technologies for proper functionality and compatibility with a mobile device.
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Mobile app
- Enabled to communicate with your scope for better aim.
- It has a range of 1500 yards to 1640 yards maximum and gives a precise and accurate reading.
Also, this option provides you with accurate readings with LTN as it measures both LOS and HCD.
- LOS and HCD modes
- Can be inconsistent
- Difficult to pair with scopes at times
- High price
There’s still a lot of work to be done to make the technology of this rangefinder perfect, but it’s still very much recommended for game hunting.
The Sig Sauer – Kilo2200 BDX Laser is built with the unique technology of the SIG BDX system. This technology enables it to go to a great range to find distant targets. The user is also able to give precise shots with the applied ballistics ultralight calculator. For more precise reading, pair it with the Sierra3BDX riflescope to find the exact range between you and the target.
- Maximum range of 3400 yards.
- Rifle range finder can accurately determine changes in elevation.
- Automatic brightness control and an OLED screen.
- Magnification level of 7x.
This Sig Sauer model is also able to calculate windage as it’s able to pair with Kestrel wind meters.
- Waterproof and fog proof
- Wide field of view
- 5-year limited warranty.
- The class 3 laser which it uses can harm the eye.
- Not suitable for people using glasses because of the eye relief which is only 0.6 inches.
The Sig Sauer – Kilo2200 BDX Laser is recommended because of its high-level magnification of 7x, its target range of 3400 yards, and the ability to give accurate reading even for long-distance shooting.
The Leica – Rangemaster CRF 2700-B is the perfect tool for hunters looking for precise measurement of long-range distances. It also boasts of the advanced ballistic compensation system.
- Rifle range finder has a target range of 2700 yards.
- Three ballistic outputs and measured distance.
- User gets equivalent horizontal range (EHR) measuring about 1200 yards in distance.
- Includes other features such as temperature sensors, air pressure, and integrated inclinometer.
- 7x magnification level.
- Fast scan mode.
- Integrated LED display adjusts automatically to light conditions.
This model has a microSD memory card that allows you to upload your data to Rangemaster. It has a ballistic program with high precision which enables it to determine point-of-aim correction precisely and also display user results within a second.
- Compact and lightweight
- High price tage
This tool is recommended for hunters who require rangefinders that are reliable enough to give an accurate and precise long-distance measurement.
The Leupold RX-1600i is built with a DNA laser and is, without doubt, a very tactical option. The DNA means “digitally enhanced accuracy.” So, you’re sure that you have a very accurate and dependable rangefinder in your hands.
- Rifle range finder has a range of 1600 yards.
- 6x magnification level.
- Adjustable OLED technology makes it usable in all light conditions.
- Built-in inclinometer.
The Leupold RX-1600i is one of the most accurate models you can find out there. This is mainly because of its DNA technology which also makes it ideal for long-distance shooting even for a distance as far as 1600 yards.
- Intuitive designs with a menu that makes it easy to use.
- Multiple color options.
- 2 year warranty pool.
- Battery is hard to find.
This option can be used for multiple purposes such as hunting, golfing, etc., so if you want something that is multi-purpose the Leupold RX-1600i is recommended.
There are very few options that are suitable for hunting like the Leupold RX-1300i is. It has shot correction data that’s based on milliradian, and this gives it its rifle setting. This gives the users a ballistic reading within a range of 125 yards, even as close as 1/10th of a yard. If you need a rangefinder that will last for a long while, then you can invest in Leupold RX-1300i.
- Multi-coated lenses for clearer image.
- Weather-proof build.
- Durable and long-lasting.
The rifle setting of this model makes it a very important tool when sighting in the rifle or during game hunting.
- Menu option makes it easy to use.
- Compact and lightweight design.
- High price.
The price of this rangefinder might be a reason to look elsewhere, otherwise, it’s an ideal option recommended especially for game hunting.
The black range 4k Nikon is what you need to take that once-in-a-lifetime shot. This model is built for precision, speed, and consistency which is needed for long-distance shooting. With Nikon black range, you’ll have a massive target range of 4000 miles.
- Monocular optic system that gives a sharp and bright image making it easy to spot your target
- Delivers accurate readings in 0.3 seconds
- 2 different modes – distant target priority and target modes
- Target range of 4000 yards
- OLED color display allows you to view the target easily
- Automatically adjust brightness
The ID technology from Nikon allows this model to give an accurate horizontal distance between you and the target while taking elevation into account.
- Tru-Tec technology
- Weather-resistant – fog proof and waterproof
- Compact and lightweight
- Durable and long-lasting
- Hyper read functions
- Long eye relief and wide field of view
- Not suitable for tripod mounting
This Nikon is recommended for hunting as it aids accurate shooting.
If there’s an option that is best described as revolutionary, it has to be the Vortex Optics – Razor 4000 Laser. This rangefinder has many outstanding features that makes it one of the best out there.
- Massive target range of 4000 yards with reflective ranging capacity
- Pinpoint precision with an accuracy of 0.1 yards with a target within 1000 yards
- 3 settings (LOS, HCD angle-compensating, and scan mode settings) are optimizable for different needs
- 7x magnification level
The Vortex Optics – Razor 4000 Laser is a very durable and versatile. It is adaptable for tripod housing, adjusted with a utility clip and also has a waterproof housing.
- CR2 long-lasting battery
- Durable with outer armor to protect it from chipping and damage
This rangefinder is optimized to sight a deer or an object of that size from 2200 yards away, so it’s recommended for hunters seeking to take long-range shots at game.
Vortex is known to produce consistently good products with its innovativeness and this model doesn’t disappoint. If you need an option with enough intuitiveness and angle compensation for your shooting activity, then the vortex optics – impact 1000 is just what you need. This tech allows you to find targets as close as five yards away and as far as 1000 yards out.
- Reflective target range of 1000 yards
- Three ranging modes: scan mode, line of sight mode, and the horizontal component distance mode
- Fully multi-coated lenses provides clear and crisp images.
- Simple CR-2 battery
- 6x magnification level
You can see most of your target clearly with the coated lenses and 6x magnification. However, this rangefinder is most ideal for close to medium range targets.
- Compact, lightweight, and easy to use
- Waterproof and shockproof
- Multi-coated lenses
- Scan feature
- Shows angle-compensated distance
- The display can be hard to read
- Users can’t see through a fog, so it can only be used in clear weather.
The Vortex optics – impact 1000 is recommended for people looking to shoot closer range targets under very clear weather.
The Sig Sauer – Kilo2400 BDX Laser is touted as one of the most advanced rangefinders in the world and this is not mere talk. It has a number of capabilities that backs up this claim. The Sig Sauer brand itself is renowned for producing some of the best products.
- Built with applied ballistic ultralight calculator technology
- Maximum range distance of 3400 yards
- Compatible with Sierra3BDX riflescope equipped for connecting with smartphones
- Compatible with Kestrel wind meters which enables it to calculate windage
When calculating distance to target, this model also takes into consideration the elevation between you and the target.
- Accurate measurements
- 7x magnification level
- Battery life isn’t long enough
The Sig Sauer – Kilo2400 BDX Laser is recommended for target shooting and hunting as it is able to give accurate readings for very long distances while considering the elevation and other parameters.
The monarch 3000 from Nikon is built with Nikon’s best technology. It is able to create a great image as it eliminates the wobbliness in the image which might be due to wind, shaking hands, adrenaline, cold, etc. so, you get a stable image.
- Produces a reliable and fast target range reading within 3000 yards
- Floating internal lens which causes the effect of minor movement and vibration to dampen
- Pinpoint accuracy in calculating readings
- Hyper read technology enables fast targeting within 0.3 seconds
- ID technology from Nikon calculates the correct distance for shooting downhill or uphill
- Field of view is wide
- 6x magnification level plus long eye relief
The Tru-Target technology from Nikon allows the user to dial in on overlapping targets making this rangefinder appropriate for targeting even in very thick woods. The two operating modes for this technology are the first target priority mode and distant target priority mode.
- Steady and doesn’t require you to hold with two hands or a tripod
- Scan multiple targets
- Fog proof and waterproof
- Ranging can be less effective over a very long distance
This rangefinder is recommended for hunting accurately in thick woods.
How to Choose a Rangefinder
Although this instrument is relatively new to hunting, it’s an important asset to have. The shooter gets more clinical and precise as it takes away guesswork from their shooting activity. However, there are many rangefinders on the market today, with different models and features. This makes it hard to choose the right one for you. This guide provides some features that you have to look out for.
Distance & Magnification
The ability to measure long distances accurately is an important feature to consider. Distance may vary across different models. Some might see as far as 1500 yards, or 2000 yards. While some might see a relatively close 500 yards. The distance may also be affected by the weather in some. In clear and bright weather, some devices may be able to measure all 1500 or 2000 yards. But in bad weather conditions such as rain or fog, the user might not be able to sight such long distances. So generally, it’s wiser to go for one with a long distance that is also weatherproof.
The magnification also plays a big role. Typically, magnification might range from 4x-8x or even higher. But the most common are 5x and 6x. However, there are some models that give magnification 7x or 8x. This makes the focus on the target sharper. Some models also allow the user to see their targets in any light condition.
Accuracy is a vital feature to consider because your shots depend on it. Whatever model that you settle for has to be easy to operate, and very accurate. Otherwise, you will miss out on your target more often than not. So, your rangefinder must give you precise measurements. The test of accuracy, in many cases, is the adjustability of the equipment in different weather conditions.
These devices are on-field equipment that will be exposed to different conditions – including different weather and climatic condition. Hence, durability has to be a core factor for consideration. Look for one that is made of sturdy material and can withstand different conditions. There are some models that have protective layers to protect them and make them last longer. These are the best ones to consider.
Size does matter for rangefinders, alongside the weight. The best ones are usually very handy and concise such that they can easily fit into a backpack, pants, or shirt pocket. This makes them easily accessible to you on-field. It also makes it very easy to use them as they fit right into the user’s palm and therefore enhance stability. You do not want to be slowed down by the size and weight of your equipment while you are hunting. Needing to bring along a carrying case and tripod just adds extra weight and is totally avoidable with smaller units. However, as you stay away from bigger ones, you should also avoid models that are too small as it might be hard to find the right buttons.
Nobody buys any product without a warranty from the manufacturers, how much more an electronic device? You should be looking for options with long-term warranty periods because it offers the possibility of a durable and long-lasting product.
If you’re into game hunting or you are into long-range shooting for any reason, important equipment that you need to really go the distance is a rangefinder. It’s also important that you get the best rangefinder as it determines your success or failure in long-range shooting.
It can be a difficult task to look for the best rangefinder for long-range shooting. This is due to the fact that there are so many out there, so sorting them out is a difficult thing. But this review looks at 12 of the best rangefinders that are available today.
Visit the Gun Safety & Reviews homepage for more reviews!
Rangefinder for Long Range Shooting
Investing in the best rangefinder will definitely help with target practice and long range shots. We've reviewed the top 12 best options & brands available.
- Leica Rangemaster
- Vortex Optics
- ATN Laser Ballistics
- Sig sauer
- Leica rangemaster
- Vortex Optics Impact
- Sig Sauer