If you want to improve your gun skills, then you may want to grab some tools to help. Whether you’re competing or just hunting, shooting takes practice and time. It’s a skill that needs to be built and won’t just happen over time. One of the ways that you can help your skill is with a gun timer. Grabbing the best timer available can help you achieve consistent results when it comes to skill.
Shooting timers can measure and track your shot speed, the time between shots, and your transition time between targets. It will begin recording your time the second it registers a gunshot and won’t stop until the last round you fire. This keeps your data consistent, which is why IPSC shot timers are regularly used as competition shooting timers.
This article will introduce you to all of the top options available. Whether you want a pistol shot timer or a rifle, you will find what you are looking for among our shot timer reviews. We will detail all of the key features of each timer, and highlight their strengths and weaknesses. This gives you a brief snapshot of everything you will need to know to make an informed decision regarding your purchase.
Best Shot Timer
Competition Electronics Pocket Pro II Timer
- 1x 9 Volt batteries required (best with Polaroid 9 Volt batteries), Color is Blue ,configuartions of display ,automatic power turn down after 10 minutes of inactivity large clothespin style belt clip
- Make sure you are using alkaline batteries. After 10 minutes, if no shots are detected and no buttons are pressed, the timer will power down automatically. To wake up the timer, press the SET/ON button
- The timer can store up to 99 shots for a given timing cycle. Subsequent shots will be stored by overwriting the previous value of shot 99. Shot sensitivity is settable from the SHOT SENSITIVITY screen.
- Increase the value for greater sensitivity decrease it for less sensitivity. To reset factory default values, remove the battery, then hold down the “Start” button and reinstall the battery.
- Look at the display to see the message “INIT N/V MEMORY.” Now release the start button. The maximum timing period is limited to 199.9 seconds. Shots recorded after this will reflect the wrapped time.
This handy little timer fits perfectly in hands and the buttons can even be easily pressed by big fingers!
- Review 4 shots at a time
- Loud buzzer can be heard through earphones
- Easy to read display
- Instant start or delayed start options available
This is a great timer for improving your skills at the range. It isn’t ideal for hunting or qualification course practice because it isn’t built with waterproof features, and the par time setter is difficult to handle, but it works great at the practice range.
This timer has earned a sterling reputation in the marksmanship industry and has been improving itself for years. Competition Electronics has durable products that are affordably priced. The Pocket Pro II has an adjustable sensitivity and automatically powers down when not in use to extend the battery life.
- Side start button and shape fits hands easily
- User-friendly display
- Durable materials
- Not waterproof – can’t take hunting
- Setting par time is difficult
The compact size and loud buzzer make this a perfect timer for precision at the shooting range.
Pact Club Shot Timer III
1 used from $149.99
- PACT Club Shot Timer 3
This timer has a unique shape and minimal display to ensure comfort while practicing your marksmanship.
- Ergonomic design for carrying comfort
- Belt clip for portability
- Instant or delayed start
- Record shot strings – 100 shot memory
This timer has a very unique shape that is designed to comfortably fit in your hand no matter how you grip. The shot sensor and buzzer remain uncovered when held and the buttons recess so you can’t push them accidentally while holding the timer.
This is a great timer to use for improving your accuracy while hunting because it’s got a sealed rubber keypad and corrosion-proof materials, making it durable enough to go through the woods with you. Even the buzzer is ideal for hunting, because it sounds at a lower frequency, making it less harsh to hear.
The simple display shows your shot number, split time, and total time all at once and features a memory that can hold 100 shots. This product, like all Pact products, was manufactured in Texas.
- Comfortable to hold
- Weather-resistant design
- Extra loud buzzer can be heard through ear protection
- Less feature-packed than other timers
- Sensitivity adjustment doesn’t work well
If you are looking for an ergonomic design and don’t need all the bells and whistles, this timer is a great option for you.
DAA-304 Shotmaxx-2 Shot Timer
- Shot Detection, Wrist Worn, Water Tight
This timer is unique because it can be worn on your wrist instead of needing to be held.
- Microphone and accelerometer
- Display includes battery level
- 9 strong memory up to 99 shots per string
This unique wristwatch design is a great feature that offers versatility. Nothing can get in the way of your drawing and holstering since it doesn’t attach to your belt. This also allows you to use hands-free shooting stages when running drills.
One of the great things about this model is that it received an upgraded battery capacity and buzzer compared to previous models. The timer can remember 9 strings of shots, and each string can compare 99 shots.
It can be customized to your situation, too, because there are multiple different beep level and frequency choices on this timer. It can use either a microphone or an accelerometer to detect shots, making it very accurate. If you tweak the sensitivity settings, it can even be used for dry-fire practicing!
- Designed to be worn on the wrist
- Watertight design
- Highly customizable
- No Bluetooth compatibility
- Small controls
This is an extremely innovative timer that fits on your wrist and can travel anywhere with you.
CED7000 Shot Timer
- Your friends and squadmates will be amazed at your scores after practicing with the CED7000 shot timer for just minutes per day
- The CED7000 is the shot timer of choice for Pros like 5 time USPSA/IPSC production national champion Ben Stoeger
- Small form factor fits easily the in the palm of your hand and features an LCD screen - no more giant bulky timers with clunky segmented displays!
- Integrated PAR timer for dry fire practice in the comfort of your own home
- Includes a wrist and neck lanyard, and a rechargeable batter and charger - never have to carry spare batteries in your range bag again!
The CED model is a USPSA and IPSC approved timer that is preferred by professionals and champions.
- LCD screen
- PAR timer
- Includes wrist and neck lanyard and rechargeable battery with charger
- Wi-Fi support for score display linking
The LCD display removes the bulkiness of the timer and displays everything in one screen rather than breaking the data into different segments. The LCD display shows times, splits, the mode, the data and time, and a review of all the functions in one area.
This timer also produces a loud beep at high frequency with the option for a silent operation that offers a visual start cue instead. It includes a spy mode, a stopwatch, and a softer beep for when you don’t need a sound that can pierce through ear protection gear. It even includes countdown and autostart options.
- Small enough to fit easily in the palm of your hand
- Tons of features and options
- Very little battery life
This is the smallest, lightest, and most popular timer available today. It is the most frequently used timer among competitive marksmen.
MantisX Shooting Performance System
$158.47 in stock
- Shoot better with real-time, data-driven feedback
- Attach to any pistol or rifle with a rail or rail adapter (Package includes device only, weapon and mobile device show is for reference)
- Designed for live fire AND dry fire on your firearm
- Evaluate shooting performance, identify areas of improvement, and track progress over time
- Free app provides real-time feedback on shooting mechanics (iOS, Android)
The MantisX is one of the most technologically advanced timers on the market today. It provides lots of data in real-time so you can improve your skill and technique.
- Includes free app with real-time feedback
- Smart sensor tracks movement before, during, and after shots
This little device is so much more than just a timer. It will continuously track your movement from before to after every shot. It analyzes your behavior and motion, offers feedback, and includes coaching to help you improve over time.
This tracker works for live and dry fire as well as with Airsoft and CO2 guns, so you can train no matter what weapon you use or where you choose to train.
It will identify different patterns in your shooting techniques, which allows it to offer improvement coaching that is unique and specific to your personal shooting style. It can track your performance over time so you can share your data and improve your results.
- Capable of live fire and dry data analysis
- Coaching app pinpoints areas of improvement and offers technique correction
- Easy to use
- App regularly crashes
- No battery indicator
If you need a timer that will improve your overall technique on very comprehensive levels then this is the right shot timer for you!
SPECIAL PIE Shot Timer
- Multi-functions: The newest ever fully-functional Shot Timer which is the best choice for Ro in USPSA, IPSC, APSC, IDPA, 3 Gun, Steel Challenge. Adjustable beep levels and sensitively levels. It can wireless connection with our LED Sign or Airsoft Shooting Targets within 50 meters to achieve data synchronization update. Note: When you use airsoft for training, you need to set to Firearms Mode and set the sensitivity to level 8.
- 3 in 1 Shot Timer: 3 Modes for firearms, airsoft and stop watch; 4 functions like instant, random, fixed and customized. Integrated PAR timer for dry fire practice in the comfort of your own home or outdoor. Par mode, you can choose circles and set time for your own preference.
- Easy to Use: Widescreen can display more data, you can review 20 strings of 99 shots and every split time by long pressing the review button. And your friends and squad mates will be amazed at your scores after practicing with the Special Pie shot timer for just minutes per day.
- Long Standby: Built-in rechargeable battery, with micro USB cable, 1.5 hours of fully charged, 7days of battery life. You can set time of automatic power turn down after inactivity in Eco mode, so that save power and increase battery efficiency.
- Small and Portable: Brand new design, palm size, light and compact. Use a Hanging ring and belt clip (no include), you can hang it on your neck or waist or put in your pocket. Package：1* SPECIAL PIE Shot Timer, 1* USB Cable, 1* User Manual. Please contact us if there are any questions.
This competition timer follows the guidelines for USPCA, IPSC, APSC, IDPA, 3 Gun, and Steel challenges.
- Includes stopwatch functionality
- 3 use modes
- Wide display allows you to see up to 20 strings
- Anti-glare screen
This timer can connect to wireless signals so you can sync data for up to 50 meters. It uses several different modes, so you can set it to firearms versus airsoft sensitivity level. It includes an integrated PAR timer for dry fire practice that lets you choose circles and set your own time preferences.
Thanks to the 7-day battery life and automatic power-down options, this is the perfect timer to take with you on extended hunting trips.
- Great battery life
- No countdown timer
The 3-in-1 design allows for a lot of versatility. It will measure split and transition times as well as offering a stopwatch. This lets you use it for any purpose you may need.
This timer is also very easy to view your data by pressing down on the review button for a longer period of time. This allows you to see up to 20 strings that each hold 99 shots.
LASERLYTE Shot Timer
$162.81 in stock
4 used from $151.40
- FOR USE with LaserLyte laser trainer systems fire the red laser dot at the trainer target The shooting target will record every shot and display it with a red LED the LASER TRACER FIRE will display where the laser fired in the order they were shot
- SHOT TIMER record your shooting time when you are practicing trigger control and sight alignment START the timer with a shot from a laser trainer coming from a pistol STOP the timer with another laser trainer shot practice right from the couch
- SHOOTING TARGET practice fast shots and aim for the bullseye PRECISION shots can be made when the gun sights are aligned and the trigger is controlled for each press DISPLAYING the shot groups gives a visual training experience
- SHOOTING RANGE in the privacy of your own home work on your own SHOOTING SKILLS or by focusing on the target speed shooting accuracy shooting or transitioning from other targets YOUTH SHOOTERS can be instructed on how to shoot
- DRY FIRE can be fun again with the shooting target system place the TARGET on almost any flat surface or hang on the wall TRAIN almost anyway or anywhere that the shooter needs to train SHOOT AROUND the house and practice engaging
This shot clock also includes a target for practice, so you can work from home with a laser gun to improve technique without spending time and money at the range.
- Includes training target
- Large buttons and simple controls
- 62 LEDs to accurately represent where shots land on target
This timer will record your shooting time while you practice trigger control and aligning your sights on its small laser training target. It allows you to learn precision shots by aligning your laser gun with the target and displaying where your shot hits.
This is a great way to help young shooters improve their marksmanship on safe guns with dry shots. The target practice will ensure better accuracy when they grip real guns later at the range.
- Extremely efficient
- Conveniently placed buttons
- Batteries not rechargeable
- Doesn’t work as well in bright light
- Laser gun not included
If you want a shot timer that will also allow you to get in some target practice and improve your accuracy with pinpoint detail then this is the best bet for you!
Competition Electronics Pocket Pro Shot Timer
- Review up to 50 shots- forward or reverse. Ergonomic design allows right or left hand operation without covering the buzzer and sensor
- Saves batteries with automatic power down after 10 minutes of inactivity. Large display with .5 inch tall numbers
- Displays time to 199.99 seconds. Adjustable sensitivity. Direct review of shots, split times, and shot number
- Par time for a second beep to indicate a time limit. Switch selectable instant/random delayed start
- Separate shot sensor and buzzer for best performance. Low battery indication. 2 year warranty. Comes with PurchaseCorner polish Cloth
The original Competition Electronics Pocket Pro Shot Timer is still one of the best in class after several years on the market!
- Auto shut-off to save battery life
- Set PAR times
- Store up to 50 shots for forward and backward review
- Comes with a 2-year warranty
This timer has a large display that can be easily seen. The numbers are half an inch tall, and the time can be displayed up to 199.99 seconds. The adjustable sensitivity lets you work on a range or with dry practice at home. The par time offers a second beep when you hit your limit, and you can choose whether you want an instant start or a randomized delayed start.
- Large display is easy to read
- Adjustable sensitivity makes it versatile to use
- Loud beeper can be heard through ear protection
- Instructions are unclear so may be hard to find features
- Buttons not labeled
- Short battery life
This classic shooting timer will get the job done whether you’re shooting at a range or dry shooting from home.
KEIRON Speed Shot Timer
- Includes: KEIRON SPEED reactive target and 9mm laser training cartridge
- 5 Training Modes: Shot Timer, Shoot to Start, Competition, Concealed Carry and Free Shoot.
- 4” x 5” back lit strike zone with instant audible/visual feedback.
- Standalone laser training targets, no computer required.
- Requires 2 x AA batteries per target. (Not included.)
This Keiron speed trainer is a timer that includes a target trainer built to help you improve accuracy as well as speed.
- 5 training modes
- Includes reactive target and 9mm laser training cartridge
- LCD display and 4 by 5-inch strike zone
The Keiron speed training pack allows you to run dry drills at home with your own firearm using their system. Their target allows you to place it in a variety of places, creating different shooting scenarios without the need for a smart camera. You also receive instant feedback on your trigger control, shot placement, and sighting.
The system includes 5 different training modes. You can choose from free shot, shoot to start, competition draw, concealed carry, and timed start options for training. The display shows your first shot time, your split time, your shot number, and the time of your last shot.
- Backlit strike zone with instant audio feedback
- Standalone training target
- Includes laser training cartridge.
- Requires 2 AA batteries that are not included.
If you’re looking for a bit of coaching and a target you can use for dry fire training, this is the option for you.
LaserPET Shot Timer
$94.95 in stock
3 used from $86.49
- WORKS WITH ALL SURESTRIKE LASER CARTRIDGES - Designed to work with all Laser Ammo SureStrike laser cartridges with red visible laser (not compatible with IR lasers). Not compatible with lasers not manufactured by Laser Ammo (ex: LaserLyte/Sirt).
- PERSONALIZED TRAINING- Improve your marksmanship skills with this personalized electronic target with a variety of target inserts. Design custom training scenarios and layouts (indoors and shaded outdoors) depending on your individual needs. Ideal training tool for those who are looking to improve their marksmanship skills, speed and accuracy, drawing out of a holster, and many more. Simulate match stages and shave seconds off your time! Improve your skills with this personalized electronic targ
- PORTABLE & COMPACT- Compact size, coupled with an included tripod, allows for ease of training anywhere, anytime. Train indoors, shaded outdoors, in the office, on vacation… the possibilities are endless!
- FOUR TRAINING PROGRAMS INCLUDED- The LaserPet includes four different operational modes, where you will be able to count consecutive hits, track reaction times, increase speed of consecutive shots in a timed scenario, and work on double taps and magazine changes.
- TWO WAYS TO CHARGE- Charge the target while at home or on the go! Unit can be ran via three AAA batteries or charged via Micro USB.
The LaserPET is a compact training program that doubles as a shot clock and accuracy improvement system.
- Large display and buttons
- 4 training programs included
- 2 ways to recharge target
- Removable tripod allows the target to slip into a pocket for portability
This standalone laser targeting system will offer personalized marksmanship training thanks to a target that allows for custom training scenarios and layouts with a programmable target. It’s a great way to improve accuracy along with speed. You can even simulate different stages in competitive matches to shave seconds off your competition shoot times!
There are 4 training programs included with this, so you can count consecutive hits, track your reaction times, increase the speed of your consecutive shots in timed drills, and work on double-tapping and magazine changes.
- Personalized training to improve marksmanship skills
- Portable and compact design
- Batteries last a long time
- Extremely versatile
- Not compatible with IR or any laser not made by Laser Ammo
- Tiny target requires skill or very close shot range to work
This is a great tool for excellent marksmen to improve to pinpoint accuracy because the target area is less than 2 square inches!
Pact MKIV XP Timer and Chronograph
- Timer Functions
- Chronograph Capabilities
- Compatible with PACT SkyScreen Systems
- Runs on 9V Battery
- Belt Clip for portable use
This old school model is a basic but extremely functional championship timer and chronograph.
- Chronograph capabilities
- Belt clip for portable use
- Runs on a 9-volt battery
This system has most of the features of a training device you will need. The timer features allow you to improve both the speed and accuracy of your shots and the chronograph makes it one of the most versatile products Pact offers. This lets you pull double duty when it comes to both development and verification and allows you to refine and perfect your options.
- Extremely durable
- Compatible with Pact SkyScreen Systems
- Great option for hunters
- More expensive than many comparable models
- Fewer features than other models
If you don’t need tons of features but you want something extremely durable and reliable, then this is your best bet.
Competition Electronics Pro Shot Timer 4 Super
With every new model of their Pro Timer, they get better and better results. This model is no exception!
- Multiple training modes
- Memory for up to 100 individual shots
- Automatically calculates HIT factor
This timer offers instant, random, and fixed delay starts. It can test and improve reaction and draw times. This offers 3 different operating modes. The simple mode displays time, shot numbers, start delay, and par time. Standard mode will also offer split ties. The extended model also offers multiple par times for cadence practices.
- Very sensitive – won’t miss any shots you fire
- Can connect to a wireless printer for printing stored data
- Not as affordable as other models
- Newer product has less feedback available regarding longevity and durability
This timer is a great value overall for your shot timer needs.
As you can see, there are a lot of great options out there. Using one of these can help you prepare for marksmanship competitions. It can also help your skill and accuracy as a hunter. All of these shot timers are great options. The final decision regarding the best timer really comes down to preference. These are all shaped and colored differently, and the display features and buttons are varying in size and display. All of them will record your data, so just grab whichever one has the features you like best!
Keep in mind that they all have different battery life and data outputs. Features like these matter just as much as the display and shape to many people. Some of the smaller ones offer basic improvements, and competition ones will even make a sound to ready you for your session.
Regardless of the features and aesthetic elements you want, all of these timers do a fantastic job. You will have a blast improving your skill and precision with this tool. Happy hunting!
Best Shot Timer
Having the best shot timer is an excellent and easy way to improve your marksmanship. Whether you want it for the range or hunting, there's and option for everyone.
Competition Electronics Pocket Pro II Timer
Pact Club Timer III
DAA-304 Shotmaxx-2 Timer
MantisX Shooting Performance System
SPECIAL PIE Timer
Competition Electronics Pocket Pro Timer
KEIRON Speed Timer
Pact MKIV XP Timer and Chronograph
Competition Electronics Pro Timer 4 Super